AST di afferenza: Scienze della Nutrizione
Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca per gli Alimenti e la Nutrizione
via Ardeatina, 546
ATTIVITÀ DI RICERCA, INFORMAZIONE E PROMOZIONE
In the frame of the European CISCODE Project, we use genomics technologies to harness information present in the diversity of species to fill in the gaps in our understanding of model and crop plants. We focus on a fundamental biological system, plant reproduction, and use genomic and post-genomic tools to model the regulatory network in the reproductive process. Using a comparative approach, we aim to understand how evolutionary variation in non-coding DNA regions has led to variation in reproductive processes. To derive maximum benefit from a comparative analysis, we focus on a key set of genetic interactions characterized in Arabidopsis. Our final aim is to achieve an understanding of the cis-regulatory elements controlling reproduction, to understand the evolutionary variation and to benefit from this information for crop improvement.
Our specific objectives are:
- Defining the cis-regulatory code underlying key steps in reproductive organ formation, floral determinacy and seed and fruit production.
- Creating a framework for the extrapolation of genomic and post-genomic knowledge from characterized model systems to other species.
- Using comparative tools to inform our understanding of model systems.
- Exploiting our enhanced understanding for crop improvement.
- To benefit from synergies in bioinformatics, genomics resources in multiple plant species, and post-genomic methods to analyze the interaction between cis-elements and regulatory proteins in vivo.
- MEDINA J, RODRIGUEZ-FRANCO M, PEÑALOSA A,
CARRASCOSA MJ, NEUHAUS G, SALINAS J; (2005) Arabidopsis mutants
deregulated in RCI2A expression reveal new signalling pathways in abiotic
stress responses. Plant J. 2005 May; 42(4): 586-97
PUBBLICAZIONI DI PARTICOLARE RILEVANZA
A (2004). New signalling network in plant abiotic stress discovered through a
genetic approach. PhD Thesis. Freiburg University
LINACERO, R.; RUEDA, J.; ESPINO,
F.J.; PEÑALOSA, A.; MUÑOZ, G.; RUIZ, E.; VÁZQUEZ, A.M.; POLANCO, C.; MORALES,
S.; RUIZ, M.L. (2002). Comparación
de la eficacia de distintas técnicas para la detección de variación somaclonal
en Arabidopsis thaliana. Actas de Horticultura, 34:139-145